Please Check Out My Other Blogsite

Monday, December 14, 2009

Hail Caesar - Salad That Is!



Last night, I made one of my favorite meals (and one of America’s greatest classic dishes) a Caesar Salad. I have been eating and making them since I was a child (we are talking here about the late 1940’s).
If there is a thing of a, so called comfort food, then the Caesar Salad certainly ranks high on my list.
I make, will continue to make and I eat, and will continue to eat only a classic Caesar, because chicken, shrimp nor beef does not, a Caesar Salad make.
My Caesar contains an egg (coddled it if you wish, but mine is raw!), No Vinegar (where the hell did that come from?) lots of salty anchovies (anyone who does do not add anchovies – I don’t wish to talk to!) fresh lemon, fresh garlic, fresh shaved Parmesan, Romaine, Dijon mustard, Olive oil, pepper (fresh ground), Worcestershire sauce and homemade croutons and that’s it! No more and no less. Perfection in a bowl!

Along with my Caesar, I also entertain a classic glacier, ice-cold, Gin (6 to 1) Martini. Has there ever been a better combo? I think not!

Like Proust eating his Madeline and dreaming of times past; a Caesar Salad serves as the same time travel for me.
As a child I was first introduced to the classic salad at one of the many ‘continental’ restaurants my parents use to take me too. It was made tableside (a lost art and one sadly missed by me) in a wooded bowl, rubbed with a clove of garlic and then with a certain flourish, mixed all the ingredients ( listed above) together. It was and still remains one of my eating memory highlights.
Even as a teenager, on the weekends, my parents allow me to go around the corner to a lovely ‘continental’ restaurant by myself (always dressed to the nines) and my greatest pleasure was to order a tableside Caesar Salad. To my dying day, I will never lose the memory of that hallowed occasion. Today my Caesar salads border on the over-served size, enough for 3 or 4 people (I must admit, I eat it all) and it’s a meal to satisfy both,
………………………… the Gourmet and the Glutton!

                                                      Hail Caesar!



No comments:

Post a Comment