Please Check Out My Other Blogsite

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Edwardian SuperSize Me!


The Edwardian era, from the death of Queen Victoria in 1901 to the expiration of her obese but happy son Edward VII from not entirely surprising double heart attack in 1910, was the Golden Age not just of cricket, motoring, amateurism and one piece swimsuits for gentlemen, but of eating!
He generated the first great restaurant boom, an explosion of new and exciting dishes.

I am proud to say, that even in the 21st century, I think, no, I know and comport myself as a latter day Edwardian - to live, dress, exercise, eat and drink like an Edwardian man of means.

Some people for relaxation read crime novels, some play silly games with spiroid balls, while others listen to Mozart and Operas ( you know what they say about Opera - " If it's too silly to say, then sing it!), some jog in tasteless clothes and visit gyms and sweat, BUT…ah! For me, my pleasure is reading old menus, especially ones from 1901 to 1935. It is and has been a pleasure of mine for over 50 years.

Here is one I was reading last night - along with my favorite cat ensconced on my lap and a glass of Maderia close at hand.

From the Savoy Hotel, London - 1905, January 14th 9 courses


Evening wear a must!


Beluga Caviar with native rock oysters (today that would be worth $2000.00)


Pot Au Feu Henry IV - the shoulder, shank, rib and tail of beef braised all day and served in their broth with a blob of Bernaise.


Sole cardinale and Whitebait


Chicken d'Albufera - a roasted bird ( are you sitting down?) served in a sauce of boiled cream, triply-reduced, with mushrooms and black truffles and quenelles of veal tongue and chicken. How I long for that kind of dish! Take that, the Thomas Keller's of the world, that is something you should inspire too. Not the silly dishes you foist on the public!


Saddle of Lamb with spring vegatables and parsley potatoes.


Pressed Rouen ducklings ( the best in the world) in its own juice.


Asparagus hollandaise ( which Edwardians loved as a pre dessert)


Peach melba


and finally Canapes a la Diane.

I love the Edwardian way of life - the great clothes, the staggering food, and the not much having to do.........



No comments:

Post a Comment