Please Check Out My Other Blogsite

Friday, May 30, 2014

Audrey Hepburn, Fred Astaire and Me.......

In the 1950's, as a teenager, I used to love to go the movies once a week, on a Saturday morning at 10:30am and stay until 5:00pm, when my father would pick me up.
Those days they made movies for adults, not children, today its reversed and there is nothing to see these days or 'movie stars' one can look up to and try to emulate. Thank god, I was around to see the Clark Gables, Gary Coopers, Greg Pecks, Cary Grants, and Audrey Hepburn's and Grace Kelley's and so many other wonderful and exciting people on the silver screen. There was true romance then, not just in the sexual way, but the romance of life, and the romance of places to visit.
Think about it, I was maybe 13 or 14 years old and the movies stars I mentioned about were already in their 40's and 50's and yet, and yet, they excited me as a young man as to someone I wished to be, to dress like, to have great lines to say, to visit exotic locales and the music, ah! the music, was beautiful, stirring, lots of strings and long melodic lines. 
Today, I was thinking about when I first say Paris on the big screen ( not realizing then) how important that city and country would be in my future life. 
The movie was 'Funny Face' ( music by the Gershwin, who could ask for anything more?) starring Paris and Fred Astaire ( who didn't want to be a Fred Astaire?)  and Audrey Hepburn ( and who didn't want a girl like her to be your pal?) 
How lucky to have lived in the 1950's and the movies that came out in that decade!


No comments:

Post a Comment