Please Check Out My Other Blogsite

Friday, June 27, 2014

The Pleasures of a Gin and Tonic - Rediscovered

When I turned 21, my first drink that was served to me as a Gin and Tonic. For many years after it, it became my favorite libation, but as I grew older and more sophisticated, my allegiance turned to the classic martini. 
As of late, I have come back to my first love and can't image why I had for so long, spurned her. 

The New York Times the other day had a story that started with this
"Sipping a good gin and Tonic is like finding a 20th-century oxford shirt in the closet and realizing that you can still wear it downtown tonight without looking out of step with the century we're stuck in'
- I have always worn Oxford shirts since I was 7 years old and I am now 70 and this is still  my go to shirt. - HL
Gin and tonics were - like gin itself - originally developed as a medicine. In this case, to help fight malaria. When the British were in the East they became susceptible to malaria and eventually found out that quinine, an ingredient in tonic water, was useful for getting rid of the disease. Well you would expect that drinking tonic water by itself is pretty nasty and so they added Gin to it and they had no problems getting the British to drink it. 
Also, lime is traditionally served with the drink and it being a citrus fruit containing vitamin C, it also helps to prevent scurvy. Ah! those crafty English.
Tonight, after many years past, I am starting to take the pleasure of drinking Gin and Tonic.
Good times remembered? eh? and yes, 

No comments:

Post a Comment