Please Check Out My Other Blogsite

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Why Don't Movies make You Cry Anymore?

Last night, I viewed the 1942 MGM classic film, Random Harvest and once again ( my 100th time, I think?) I began to cry as soon as the opening titles appeared. Its a film that really transcends time - of course the plot is implausible, but who cares, two eloquent speaking actors who when they come into sight and open their mouths, suspension of belief becomes effortless and pure enjoyment begins. I defy anyone with a heart to not watch this movie and not cry at the end. A cry for happiness, yes!
It has something, as many MGM films did during that time, a sweetness, that is all but lacking today in movies. 
This along with the'Enchanted Cottage', is my comfort film to go to whenever I need to rejuvenate my soul.
and did the mention the score by the not well known and under appropriated MGM composer, Herbert Stothart?
Margaret hurries to the cottage and calls "Smithy!", he turns, memories flooding back; he cries out 'Paula" and they embrace!
It does not get any better than this...................

No comments:

Post a Comment