Please Check Out My Other Blogsite

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Locke-Ober – The restaurant that gave hope to generations of Boston men that if they just followed the rules, they too could find their rightful place

Established in 1875 – the restaurant was a fine dining haven, serving the cities’ most powerful people and old line Bostonian families ( Men that is –the restaurant only admitted women in 1970) for over 100 years.
The restaurant was an institution, a sort of manners-school-meets-lunch club for the Irish, Jewish and Italian men who worked downtown but weren’t welcome at any of the exclusive clubs controlled by the Boston Brahmin. It was the place for men of Boston to learn how to behave like Yankee gentlemen.

To me, it was not only the atmosphere, the wait staff, but it was the food and drink and great company. Now lost on today’s dinners, here was the food of my past and still lives with me - Lobster thermador, finnan haddie, calfs liver, Bay Scallops with bacon, Lobster stew, Scrod, lobster Newburg and many more dishes that gladden the heart and cocktails – like the Ward Eight and ice cold Gin Martini’s ( for lunch!!) I had arrived when I was able for lunch to down a few Ice-Cold Martini's

My grandfather and father and then just myself, were frequent clients, no! Frequent members, for it felt like an exclusive men’s club with better food and people. Men dressed (albeit) in Boston conservative dress, and if you too where dressed correctly, you would get the Nod of approval, not only from the staff but from other dinners.

It was and will forever remain one of the great joys in my lifetime.

It closed after 136 years, because the world had changed, the younger generation did not care a fig and still does not about tradition, or style or manners (Ok, don’t get me going!).

But who cares, I had my time ‘to bask under the sun’ and experience this magical place.


No comments:

Post a Comment