Please Check Out My Other Blogsite

Friday, April 25, 2014

Who Screwed Up the Classic Caesar Salad - I'd Like To Punch Them In The Nose

A Warning - If the photo below is your idea of a classic Caesar Salad, then leave now, because I am going to hurl insults at you,

                   Le Cirque - shame on you (A Caesar Salad, this is not)
if your Classic Caesar salad must have shrimp or chicken on it, starting running, because I am going to through things at you, if you want your classic Caesar Salad without anchovies, then don't even talk to me, you have no idea what great food is about and never will and don't tell me you (like it seems for a vast majority of US Citizens)  have the need for Gluten Free products, I don't believe it, that kind of thing has reached epic proportions in our country and a Doctor I know at the CDC (Center for Disease Control) says that only 1% of the population has the disease known as Celiac (which requires a Gulten Free diet).  
When I was young, about 7 years old, in the late 1940's and into the early 1950's, I was taken to a classic continental style food restaurant (where one had to wear a coat and a tie - which I still do today, I am happy to say)  and had a table side prepared classic Caesar salad and that salad, its taste and preparation has stayed with me for over 70 years. I, early on made that dish one of my cooking repertories. There is not a week that goes by that I don't make that classic dish it in my garlic-rubbed wooden bowl ( de rigueur, of course) and my mind goes back to those happy days of dining in the 1950's.
The world today, as it does so often of late, has bastardized that dish and many other from my youth. 
My blood is boiling, so I need a Caesar salad to calm me down!!!
Here is the classic Caesar from my 1950's days and of course , its correct - never, ever deviate

Howard’s Classic Caesar Salad

Ingredients:
1 – Large garlic clove, mashed
½ lemon
1 – tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
1 – teaspoon of Dijon-style mustard
2 to 3 Anchovy Fillets
3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese (fresh or prepared)
1 head of Romaine Lettuce - chopped
1 whole egg (coddled or raw) -This is NOT an option, without it,its not a CAESAR salad - nuf said!
Salt
Pepper
Croutons –  freshly made, of course!! 
Put your serving dishes for the salad in your refrigerator to chill
In a wooden bowl – make your dressing:
Mince the anchovies and mash in the bowl with a pinch of salt with the back of a spoon
Add the Olive oil – mustard – mashed garlic – few turns of fresh crushed pepper - Mixed well, pressing the ingredients against the side of the bowl until well blended.

Note: Try to make the salad just before serving so it remains fragrant and crisp.

~ In a large bowl, put in the lettuce and pour over it the dressing. ~ ~ toss gently, but not to long.
~ Add the egg and toss well, so that the leaves are coated well.
~ Add the Worcestershire sauce, squeeze the lemon over the lettuce (be careful not to let the seeds into the salad) and then add enough Parmesan cheese to lightly cover the top.
~ Mix well.
~ Add the croutons and more Parmesan Cheese to cover the top (again based on your preference)
Toss well
On the chilled plates – sprinkled a bit of pepper first and then plate the salad.
                                       Hail Caesar!
 Of course it even tastes better if you prepare it table-side in your dinning room, what you don't have a dining room but an open kitchen - Dining room? Don't talk to me !





1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more. I am so sickened by what seems to be accepted as a Caesar salad. That is my litmus test for most restaurants; if they are unable to make a proper Caesar, what chance do they have of successfully creating something more difficult?

    ReplyDelete