Please Check Out My Other Blogsite

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Dreamin'...of Smoked Salmon in all its Various Glories...

Man has been smoking salmon since before the written record; but now that there is a written record, the variety of terms that are tossed out can be confusing to me. Folks from the Atlantic smoke Atlantic salmon and North Atlantic Salmon, but many of them confuse the issue by appending their nationalities to the salmon: Scottish, Nova Scotia, Irish, etc. What’s the difference? Folks from the Pacific get species-happy: they smoke Chinook Salmon, Coho Samon and King Salmon, with an occasional generic Pacific Salmon and some geographical offerings of Copper River (Alaska) Sockeye, Chilean Salmon and Wild Alaskan Salmon. And then there is of course… gravlax and we can’t forget LOX! But anyway you smoke it and serve it.., it is one of my favorite things to eat – whatever you call it . Not served on a bagel (although that is nice) but served on a plate (of fine bone China, of course, ..my grandmother taught me well....) with some virgin olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, chopped egg and onion and capers. When abroad in Europe, when offered it, I always partake as my appetizer. If I had to name my favorite meal, this would always, be at the head of the list. ALWAYS………………

No comments:

Post a Comment