Please Check Out My Other Blogsite

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Why Do I Want To Eat Like An Edwardian?

To answer the question - perhaps it is a way in which to be an Anglophile/Francophile and of course I am an incurable nostalgist.
It is also likely a function of my contrarian nature, a wish to rebel against the terribly tiresome contemporary obsession and religion of health and wellness. A desire to be unashamed of good food, including cream, butter and 5-egg yolk custards. Perhaps I cannot countenance the idea of any more 'fusion cuisine' or restaurants with 'concept' that need condescending explanation by the waiters. 
My grandparents were Edwardian's and taught me how to enjoy food, real food ( and lots of it) white starched table cloths and proper dining with proper flatware and the joys of hours spending time with fine cigars/port/whiskey/music and a good book and the emance enjoyment of savories after a meal. Of the joys of dressing properly, of manners and etiquette - those things are long gone today, in my opinion.
Shopping for my clothes and spending glorious hours talking to haberdasher's about what one should wear and how.  Don't get me started, that world has gone, but in my own, I keep the flame going and always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment