Please Check Out My Other Blogsite

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Most stylish Western of the 1950’s and the Man who Influenced My love of Education (albeit non school education)

My favorite TV western ( and there was lots of them in the 1950's) had to be Richard Boone's 'Have Gun, Will Travel' and to be honest with you, I really watched it not for the gunfights and such, no, it was because of the man, the character who was everything I was not and wanted to be - he was Well-schooled and highly cultured, Paladin was a world traveler and polyglot, conversant, if not fluent, in any foreign tongue required by the plot, including Morse code. He had a thorough knowledge of ancient history and classical literature. 
Almost every episode had Paladin dropping a line from such diverse sources as Plato, Aristotle, Julius Caesar, Marcus Aurelius, St Paul, Omar Kayyam, John Milton, Percy Shelley, Lord Byron, Miguel de Cervantes, and even Oscar Wilde, There are also several instances of Paladin recalling lengthy Shakespearean passages. Paladin was a recognized San Francisco wine authority and epicure—so much of both that he is called upon to judge wines in competition. 
He happily partook in and appreciated gourmet meals, often served in his rooms at the Carlton. He received a yearly crate of award-winning Riesling from the California winery of Renato Donatello,in return for the aid he gave Signore Donatello in a land dispute
He was always a gentleman,who even in a gun fight to the death, before dispatching the villain ,he would quote a line from Shakespeare or Milton and then shoot the brigand dead. What style, what finesse. This is who I wanted to be and so all my life I have endeavored to learn and study so many subjects and disciplines  and hoped to be like him and I can say; although I am still learning, I have, I think, become that gentleman. His style was, ..............Just before he shoots a gunman, he would say:
"The good die young, so they may not be corrupted and the wicked live on so they may have a chance to repent".
..so I say, in modern TV or movies, where are the learned heroes of today?


No comments:

Post a Comment