Please Check Out My Other Blogsite

Monday, July 28, 2014

Today’s Foodie – A Sheep in Sheep’s Clothing

 In my day, the term for someone who loved food, all types of food and took great pleasure in all food (Please remember that last few words – pleasure in all foods), maybe to excess was the term – Gourmand. Today, the term used the most is Foodie. One dictionary defines it as someone who enjoys and cares about food very much. Another defines it as someone having an avid interest in the latest food fads. Since I was a child ( some 70 years plus) I have always enjoyed food and dining and when I say food, I mean all types. Today’s ‘foodie’ it seems to me, has to have an asterisks, attached to that word, because they say “Yes’, I’m a foodie and love food, but I don’t like or can’t eat……”…………… This is NOT, let me say it again, this is not a ‘foodie’ or Gourmand. So don’t kid yourself……….it is not. I like the food critic and superb writer, James Villas and agree with him and he (although he may not know it) agrees with me, when he and I say I don’t get along with superficial foodies, who spend endless time talking about (and taking photos ..a big no no!) bogus gastronomic trends, offbeat ingredients, superstar restaurant chefs and diets rather than, like ourselves, simply eating and drinking with wanton abandon. To put it more bluntly, in the age of instant expert, there now seems to be a disproportionate number of people who fancy themselves authorities on food and restaurants and all we can say is pity the poor souls who have to sit next to one of them and/or see on line ( facebook, blogs etc) their running commentary is dishes eaten or on some new hot restaurant or a long discourse on wine ( the faults and merits), I say to them..’Just shut and eat!. .and don’t get me started on today’s restaurants which are playpens for adults……………..but that’s another story.. Check back in a bit for my ‘Cosmos’ test to see if you are a real foodie or fake………………

I say, based on this cartoon...Enough already!!

No comments:

Post a Comment